Sunday, May 24, 2009

Rain.

I was fortunate enough to have my mom and aunt come visit me in Auckland. I snuck on the elevator, hit floor four, got out, and tapped rhythmically on the hotel door. I was greeted with hugs and kisses and my mother's characteristic cry of happiness. We would be heading up north for the weekend, attempting to escape the cold and rain that has been looming over Auckland for the past month. Luckily enough, the clouds parted, and the sun was shining not more than 40 miles outside of the city. We drove up toward the Bay of Islands (as pictured above), and ran around to Paihia, Matakohe, and Whangerei. Despite the hourly long sessions in the car believing my life was going to end in a fiery crash off a cliff side, the trip was, well, good. It was really nice seeing my mom; I'm so proud that she conjured up the guts to sit her fearful butt on a plane for 22+ hours.

Saw this bad boy solidified in a substance called Kauri Gum, from the great Kauri trees in the forest of Waipoura.

Anyway, I woke up this morning to blaring speakers, hundreds of voices, and police sirens. Despite not wanting to glance out my window due to the horrific weather that we've been having, I peeked out and saw hundred of protesters (maybe), marching down the street with signs and megaphones. They chanted in Maori, held their umbrellas, and proudly made their way down the soaked cement. I've noticed that people here will protest with the protection of the police, rather than getting beaten and tear gassed. The individuals in this 'walk' held a giant sign reading, "Our city, our rights. No supercity with us! Us! Us!" I've noticed that no matter where I go, people from New Zealand hate Auckland. They despise its infrastructure and superstructure, calling it just another city in which "Just Another Fucking Aucklander" resides. I'm absolutely terrible at keeping up with current events at home, none the less in a country whose past is completely unfamiliar to me. I wasn't exactly sure about the reasoning behind this 'protest', but my guess would have to be the lack of Maori representation and voice in the New Zealand parliament. I'll find out eventually.

I've recently come to the conclusion that I'm probably going to be a crazy cat lady when I'm older, except without the cats. Odds are you'll find me in a shack, with my great dane, Shelby, babbling monotonously to the walls. I love planning out my future as a desperate, single woman. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment