Saturday, March 7, 2009

Reminders.

There are little things here and there that hint at home. Whether they be meaningless bar fights or meaningful songs, New Zealand tosses shrapnel in your direction that you thought you left in the states. Note the use of 'shrapnel'. As much as I thought they would upset me, those small reminders are what get me through the day.

I went to my first rugby match yesterday evening. Eden Park (the name of the stadium) was packed with hollering Kiwis and South Africans, as two rival teams competed for the win. I can't honestly compare the insanity of a rugby game to anything like an American football game, purely because I've never attended a football game. But if it were anything like rugby matches, I think the NFL would be dealing with more than they can handle. The Auckland Blues and the South African Sharks battled, but despite our efforts to scream, cheer, boo, and stand on our seats, the Sharks came out on top.
I screwed around with some of the 'sport' and 'action' settings on my camera, and came out with some fairly good shots. The zoom capabilities on my camera never cease to amaze me. Even after buying nosebleed tickets, I achieved photos that look as if I was on the field.

After our rugby experience, a few of us went into town to check out what Mount Eden had to offer. We came across the drunken stupor that tends to ensue after every game, whether win or lose. Once again, I feel like I need to reiterate the fact that the Kiwis are out of their minds, but in the best way possible...I think. Later that evening we ended up back in Auckland Central at a bar called Father Ted's to see our international study abroad advisor rock out with his band. As if it wasn't already strange enough watching your twentysomething year old school related staff member jump around on stage, professors came walking through the doors to join their students for a beer. This is in a whole other league of its own. Things are so different.

No comments:

Post a Comment