Sunday, March 15, 2009

Plans.

This country is so beautiful, that sometimes I think my head is going to explode. My brain feels over worked from trying to process everything I'm seeing and doing on a day to day basis. I just got back from yet another amazing road trip in the Coromandel area. Despite our one day of rain and trek through the thick mud in our bare feet, it was stunning. Our Kiwi friend, Sheri, was kind enough to show us some of the most incredible and unknown areas on the peninsula. A 45 minute hike at dusk up steep rooted trails and rocky terrain eventually brought us to a small house on a huge hill overlooking the pacific ocean. Its plywood interior and 6 bunk beds made the group's hearts flutter, being that we had spent the previous night on a beach in a rainstorm. My bleeding, sore, bruised feet meant nothing after I had a look at the view from the front lawn....

It was stunning. Greens, blues, inclines, rolling hills, anything you could find in that picture of a place you've pointed at and said, "I need to go there before I die." The best part was knowing we could get down to that beach and be 8 of few who would show up. We would then be greeted by red stone walls and marbled driftwood flaunting their colors above the stark white sand. Unfortunately, we were only able to stay for a short while being that the van was to be back in Auckland by 4:30 that afternoon. We still managed to bring it back 2 hours late.
Prior to our visit to this beach, we met up with Sheri's foster grandmother and grandfather, who were kind enough to let us use their facilities to shower off the dampness and sand from our night on the beach. After we had all cleaned up, we sat in their den for awhile chatting about life. Her foster grandfather made some extremely poignant remarks regarding the quality of living and abundance of rules governing our society. After discussing our world of regulation and disdain, he simply stated, "trees were meant for climbing," and "we change for the sake of change, not for improvement." Although these statements may seem unimportant and meaningless to those reading this entry, they resounded in the heads of all of us at the time we heard them. There was something about sitting in a complete strangers living room, looking wide-eyed toward a big brown recliner in which the older man sat, that made the moment much more significant. I won't forget those words.

We spent that rainy night on Cook's Beach singing songs around a campfire, telling stories, laughing, and tripping over tent ropes. Sometimes I force myself to step outside the moment and observe who and what is around me; the moment becomes much more meaningful and time slows down. When you're in a place like New Zealand, it becomes necessary to do these things for the full effect.

This was before our hike to Cathedral Cove. It was cold, wet, rainy, and absolutely beautiful. Once again, it was us vs. nature. We still don't know who won.

As of today, I think my plans for the Easter break are pretty solid. Greg and I are going to travel to the South Island and explore areas like Queenstown and Milford Sound via camper van. I've heard so many wonderful things about the South Island, from its extreme adrenaline junkie reputation to its beautiful landscapes. I personally can't wait to bungee jump off the second highest platform in the world...or tandem skydive with an oxygen mask from 18,000 feet...or white water raft over waterfalls...you catch my drift. Knowing that this trip is only a mere 2 and a half weeks away makes me pee my pants a little. I mean that in the best way possible. If peeing your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis.
And now for some more eye candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment